August 1. Blackland Farm Managers Association Field Day, 8:30AM, Fairfield, NC. Programs including farm tours- 8:30 am-12:00 pm. Lunch-12:30 pm. Hyde Co., Mann Farms, Corner NC-94 and North Lake Rd, Fairfield, NC.
September 5. Tillage/soybean Field Day. Upper Piedmont Research Station, Reidsville, NC (map). Begins at 7:30 AM with registration; field tours begin at 8:15 AM. Concludes with vendor displays and lunch at 11:30 AM. If you plan to attend, RSVP to Alan Meijer (firstname.lastname@example.org). Highlights: Soybean production information; long-term tillage trials including yield, soil compaction, controlled traffic; soil organic matter; insect pest management; erosion measurements using ground-based LIDAR; remote sensing technologies for soil and crop management. 3 hours CCA (2 SW, 0.5 PM, 0.5 CM), 0.5 hours pesticide credits available
September 12. Cotton Field Day, Upper Coastal Plain Research & Extension Center near Rocky Mount on September 12, beginning at 12:30 pm with registration and exhibits, including field tours and concluding with a BBQ supper. Some topics covered during the field tours will be:
- Tillage effects on water storage in the soil
- Defoliation strategies
- Thrips and nematode control without Temik
- Minimizing inputs for stink bug control
- Varietal tolerance to nematodes
- Varietal selection
- Alternatives to multiple PPO apps.
- Ignite systems in GlyTol/LibertyLink cotton
- Evaluations of Zidua, Warrant, Dual and Outlook
- Roundup vs. Liberty systems in RRF, LL and WRF cotton
- Cotton tolerance to Warrant applied pre and post
- Nozzle technology demonstration
- Cotton crop rotation considerations